Thursday, February 11, 2010

Curried Chicken Salad

One of my favorite lunchtime foods, that I don't eat often enough, is curried chicken salad sandwiches. Despite cutting out a recipe for it a while ago from the back of an Arnold's English Muffins bag, I've never made it. Until last weekend.




You can really do what you want with the recipe. I followed it exactly, and I'm not sure I would make any changes. I loved it. Nate said it was "different."

Curried Chicken Salad Sandwiches
6 oz. cooked chicken, diced (about 1 cup) (I used one chicken breast)
1/4 cup chopped celery
1/4 mayonnaise
2 tbs. chopped, toasted walnuts
2 tbs. raisins
2 tbs. chutney
1/2 teas. curry powder (I used yellow curry) (I added a few more shakes, plus some shakes of spicy curry powder)
English muffins, bread, buns, etc. (whatever you want) (I used those thin Arnold buns)
(The recipe calls for spinach leaves to go on the sandwich, but I left this out)

Combine chicken, celery, mayo, walnuts, raisins, chutney and curry powder. Split among four sandwiches. (I ended up with 2.5 sandwiches!)

5 comments:

  1. Yum. This looks awesome. I did one last summer that used red grapes instead of raisins, and you toasted the curry a bit (I think it was a rip-off of the Whole Foods deli recipe).
    So, when you say chutney... no particular kind? Just chutney? (I'm not terribly familiar with chutney.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, red grapes would be good, too. I like red grapes in regular chicken salad.

    The recipe just calls for "chutney" and we happened to have something in the fridge just labeled "chutney" so that's what I used! I think it may be a mango chutney. I think anything would work, though, to sweeten it a little. If you try it, let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love curried chicken salad!! I get it from Metro Market & put it on top of spinach. Do you think you could do yogurt (like the Indian kind) rather than mayo? Wondering how that would go... The garlic curry I have at home can be made into a dip using yogurt, which is why I thought of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm ... I'm not sure what you mean by Indian yogurt. I was thinking you could probably use Greek yogurt, which is thicker and creamer than the yogurt we're used to, instead of the mayo. Tell me about this Indian yogurt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha I didn't realize you wrote me back, sorry! I believe that next to Aladdin at the Public Market, where they have the Indian food you can buy, there's yogurt in the case. I thought it was some sort of special Indian yogurt, but I guess I'm not sure! I believe I've seen it at the Indian Grocery Store as well. Hmmm I may have to check it out & let you know :)

    ReplyDelete