Monday, February 8, 2010

Super Bowl Eats

We had a rather low-key Super Bowl get-together at our house Sunday night. Friends brought over dessert and appetizers (and beer, of course) and we provided the main meal--BBQ shredded chicken sandwiches and green bean casserole as a side.

We used a pork recipe from Better Homes and Gardens Biggest Book of Slow Cooker Recipes and adapted it to make BBQ chicken sandwiches. They were pretty good on buns, but I ended up adding a little extra BBQ sauce to my sandwich right before I ate it.

BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
1 green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
1 tbs. quick-cooking tapioca
4 chicken breasts
1/2 cup BBQ sauce
2 tbs. and a couple shakes of medium chili pepper

1. Combine pepper and onion in crockpot. Sprinkle tapioca over vegetables. Place chicken over vegetables.
2. In a bowl, combine BBQ sauce and chili powder. Pour sauce over meat.
3. Cover and cook on low for at least six hours. At that point, I shredded the chicken and mixed it in the sauce. I put it on keep warm for about another two hours.
4. Serve on rolls, or however you would like.

(Sorry, no picture. I didn't think about it yesterday and wasn't about to take a picture at work when I was eating my leftovers today!)

I wanted to do something a little different for a side dish. I feel like I make so many potato and pasta salads during the summer, so I wanted something warm. I decided on Favorite Green Bean Casserole from Betty Crocker Cookbook. This is a staple at the Adrian Thanksgiving table. It's one of those dishes that tastes just a little better when your mom makes it. But in any form, it's sure delicious.


Favorite Green Bean Casserole
1 can (10.75 oz.) condensed cream of mushroom, cream of celery or cream of chicken soup (I used mushroom)
1/2 cup milk
1/8 tea. pepper
2 cans (14.5 oz.) French-style green beans, drained OR 2 bags (1 lb. each) frozen cut green beans cooked as directed (I used frozen--I remember long ago my mom telling me it turned out better this way)
1 can (2.8 oz.) French-fried onions
(I would add some salt, too, especially if using frozen beans and "healthy" condensed soup)

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In 2-quart casserole or 8-in. square glass baking dish, mix soup, milk and pepper. Stir in beans. Sprinkle with onions.
3. Bake uncovered 30 to 40 minutes or until hot in center.

No comments:

Post a Comment