Sunday, March 28, 2010

Christie's, a Bar With Food

And not just any food. Really, really good food

Christie's, a southside Milwaukee restaurant, serves up excellent, unexpected food. This review from the Journal Sentinel gives good background information and good review of what it's like.
It's a small place--just a few tables and a circular bar--and everything is prepared by just a few people in the kitchen. The whole experience takes some time, but it's definitely worth it. y family--including my parents, my uncle Mike and his girlfriend Lonnie, and Nate--ate there Saturday night for an early birthday dinner for me. My parents had been before and have been raving about it every since, so we wanted to check it out.


The menu is fairly small, just a few appetizers, salads and sandwiches. The daily special board, on view as you walk in, is where it's at. Both side are covered with the daily specials, including chicken, pasta and fish dishes.
Since we sat at the bar, we each got a wooden tray to make eating a little easier.


We started with the calamari and scallops wrapped in prosciutto, both of which are on the menu.


Both my mom and I ordered one of the specials: crispy chicken with a chipotle sauce, asparagus and homemade mac and cheese.


Mike ordered the scallops and pasta special (I didn't get a picture), and Lonnie had the huge veggie sandwich (which is on the menu) and fries.


Nate and my dad both ordered another one of the specials, a fish I had never heard of, corbina, with broccoli and mashed potatoes.


For dessert, Nate and I split a chocolate and peanut butter mousse. Nate didn't care for the peanut butter part so much, but that was OK by me because I loved it. (Sorry for the stupid picture--I couldn't get it to flip but it was too tasty looking not to post!)


Chrisite's is a really great place. The staff was all really friendly and so were the others sitting at the bar. You can't help but talk to the others sitting at the bar. Don't expect a huge restaurant and expect the experience to take a while. It's worth it!




No comments:

Post a Comment