Sunday, March 28, 2010

French Food

My book club recently finished reading Julia Child's My Life in France, and we've been wanting to go out for French food since then. We finally made it to Le Reve in Wauwatosa. Le Reve (I have to apologize for the lack of accents--I can't figure out how to do it on Blogger!) a cool restaurant that serves great, simple French foods and wonderful pastries.


We started with a cheese plate that offered three kinds of cheeses, raisin bread, pears and nuts (I forgot to take a picture!).

Lisa ordered the pan poulet sandwich, with chicken, pancetta, romaine lettuce, tomato and a caper aioli on a baguette. It came with a side of fries, or "frites." (Sorry for the lack of a picture. I couldn't get the vertical photo to go horizontal, and then I got frustrated!)

Alysha got a French favorite: Croque-Monsieur, the French version of a ham and cheese sandwich. It came with a "petite greens salad."


Sun ordered the "steak-frites au poivre," grilled hangar steak with frites and a black peppercorn sauce.

I got the "legumes printaniers crepe," which had mushrooms, onions and white cheddar inside. It also came with a salad.


We each got some type of dessert--Lisa got macaroons, Alysha and Sun got something I can't remember the name of but it was delicious, I got a citron tart (it was sooooo good!) ...


... and I brought home a caramel and chocolate torte for Nate.


Everything was so tasty and we had a great time. I highly recommend stopping at Le Reve!

3 comments:

  1. Doesn't Le Reve sort of remind you of the French pâtisserie we met at in London? Both places are delicious. -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, it does, Melissa! That was a neat little place. Seems so long ago, no? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. La Reve is one of our favorite spots! It's completely unpretentious, and yet the food rivals just about everything in the area. Of course it helps that they have two great talents like Andy Schneider and Therese Hittman behind it (their collective experience explains why the pastry end of things is so fantastic!)

    ReplyDelete