Thursday, March 11, 2010

TLC Goodness

In my opinion, one of the best places downtown Milwaukee for lunch is TLC Soup. Each day, they serve six to seven different soups--always their house soup (chicken noodle), usually a couple vegetarian soups, often a vegan one, and often some type of chili.

I can't remember how I first discovered the place three years ago when I started working downtown. I think someone else must have taken me for lunch--I've been addicted ever since!

Today, my friend Leah and I met there for lunch, and lucky for me, they had one of my favorites on the menu: Senegalese Peanut (below). The soup is a wonderful mix of dry-roasted peanuts, leeks, celery, onion, curry, tomatoes and more. I got mine without chicken, but if you want, they will add chicken for you. Each bowl of soup comes with a large, tasty chunk of bread.


Leah got the Veggie Tortilla, which is another of my favorites. Another favorite is the soup they have ever Friday--Ivan's Tika Masala, an Indian-inspired spicy soup over rice.

TLC is a very cute place, with mis-matched chairs and tables, randomly-sized and uniquely-decorated bowls. The employees are really nice. And it doesn't hurt that they often have fudge samples available for tasting or free pieces of licorice. They even let me and Leah borrow some umbrellas since it was raining hard by the time we left.

The recipe for the peanut soup appeared on JS Online a while ago. Nate and I have made it before, and unfortunately, it wasn't nearly as good as it is at the restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment