Sunday, April 11, 2010

Black Bean Tostadas

Ok, ok. I know I say all the time that "so and so" is my favorite meal. But really, I mean it this time: tostadas. Black bean tostadas. Really, truly, I think it is my favorite meal.

I have always loved tostadas. My parents made them quite often as I was growing up, and I often order them at Mexican restaurants. In high school, I could easily polish off about four of them at Conejito's.

I've started to love my own more than what I can find in the restaurant. They're so easy to make and so tasty. Here is what I do.

Black Bean Tostadas
-1 can refried black beans, heated in a saucepan with spices/seasoning like cumin, coriander, chili powder, cayenne pepper, garlic powder. (This time I chopped up some yellow onion and cooked
it in the saucepan with some oil before putting the beans in.)


-Chop up tomatoes and lettuce, and crumble Mexican queso fresco (a fresh farmers cheese. We get it cheap at El Rey's).





-Heat up however many tostadas you want in the oven at about 350 for about seven minutes.

-Spread the beans on the tostada and top with tomatoes, cheese and lettuce. Put on guacamole and salsa, if you want.

-We often have our tostadas with Vigo yellow Mexican rice.


Of course, you need to start the meal with some guacamole and chips, and put a few dollops of guac on the tostadas. I've always made it the way my dad makes it. Not sure where he got the recipe, but it's darn good.

Adrian Guacamole

-Mash 1 (or however many you want ... ) avocado.

-Add a couple shakes of the following seasoning/spices: chili powder, cumin, coriander, garlic powder and salt, ground black pepper, cayenne pepper. Add a squeeze of lemon juice.

-Add a couple dollops of pre-made salsa and a dollop of mayo to make it a bit creamy.

-Chop up some onion and blend in.

-Dip with a chip to see if it tastes the way you want it to.

And everything should be washed down with a good Mexican beer with a lime slice inside. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment