Tuesday, April 13, 2010

To Europe and Africa in Two Meals

I've had some somewhat unique lunches over the past few days--Swedish and Ethiopian.

On Sunday, while driving home from the Chicago area, Nate and I stopped at IKEA to check it out because we had never been. And I knew there was a cafeteria, so of course we had to stop.

We split two meals--a panino and the Swedish meatballs plate, which game with the meatballs, gravy, mashed potatoes and lingonberry sauce. It was pretty good, considering we were in a furniture store ...


Then today, for lunch, some girlfriends and I met for lunch at Alem Ethiopian Cottage in downtown Milwaukee. I blogged about it once before, so I don't have a lot to say now, but I wanted to share what I ordered and show a new photo.
This time, I ordered the yatakilt alitcha (yellow, below), which is steamed vegetables (potatoes, cabbage and maybe something else?) cooked with onion, garlic and ginger. For my side, I had yater alitcha, or yellow split peas in a mild sauce. I would tell you what the other two things were that Sun and Leah ordered, but I can't remember!
And this time, we sat around the messob, a traditional Ethiopian made out of woven straw. Just like last time, the meal was delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment