Monday, June 14, 2010

A Taste of the South

We based our dinner last Monday around a single item from our CSA box: collard greens. We had never cooked them before (and I think I've only tasted them once or twice), so we thought we'd make them with other proper southern food: fried (Cooking Light style) chicken and grits.

Here is the Cooking Light recipe we used for the chicken. We used all drumsticks--no breasts and thighs. We cheated a bit, since we didn't read the recipe before hand, and there was no way we were going to wait the 2 hours it suggests for chilling and letting the chicken sit. I would imagine the chicken would be better if we had done that. It was OK. I don't think we'll make it again. I guess real, fried chicken is always going to be better. We also rarely make chicken drumsticks, and I think we really prefer chicken breasts.


To make the collard greens, I sliced them very thin and sauteed them with a bit of water for about 15 minutes. Then I added some garlic powder and olive oil. I thought they were good (Nate wasn't a big fan), but I probably wouldn't go out of my way to make them again. We also had some asparagus on the side, since we got some with the CSA box. It was such a different bunch this time--very thick and purple! It turned green when it was cooked.


We made the grits from a box--just grits and water, then I added some garlic powder, salt, butter, Parmesan cheese and a bit of Frank's Red Hot. There's not much too them, but they're pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment