Monday, July 19, 2010

A Pesto Lesson

For whatever reason, until last week, it never really occurred to me to make my own basil pesto. It's so easy to buy it in a jar and always tasty, too. I guess I never really how easy it is to make. But while it was easy to make, I managed to kind of screw it up. I definitely learned my lesson.

We got a bunch of basil in a recent CSA box, and I have a basil plant in the backyard. It was only appropriate to make basil pesto for the first time.

Easily enough, I found a recipe in my go-to Betty Crocker Cookbook. I only needed five ingredients, and then all I had to do was mix it in the food processor. Here is the recipe I used.

I made it the day before we used it, which was fine ... but then it was cold when I took it out of the fridge to use it with pasta.

We had a package of frozen ravioli to made with the pesto.
It was easy enough to make--just boil water, and cook the ravioli on a low boil for about eight minutes, drain and serve.

Here's where I messed up: I figured it wouldn't be good to serve the pesto cold ... so I tried heating it up in a saucepan. Bad idea! The Parmesan cheese melted, making it a gooey, stringy mess. Over the pasta, it still tasted good, but it was clumpy and the oil had kind of separated from the rest of the pesto.

I later looked up how to serve pesto, and will do this next time--take about a tablespoon of the hot pasta water, mix it with the pesto and pour over the pasta. Lesson learned!

Needless to say, we both finished our plates of pasta and pesto!

No comments:

Post a Comment