Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Best-Ever Pulled Pork Sandwiches

I could swear I've blogged about this recipe before--we really, really love this dish--but I couldn't seem to find it in the list. So, here goes!

Nate and I have made this Betty Crocker recipe many times, often for a big group of people. Last weekend, we had some friends over, and it was the perfect opportunity to make it.

Here is the recipe. We usually follow it pretty closely, but make a few adjustments depending on who is dining with us. If it's just us, we'll make it spicier by added some more jerk, cayenne or hot peppers.

This time, we stuck with the recipe, but Nate--who was in charge of putting it all together--didn't exactly follow the directions correctly. It turned out great nonetheless. Instead of waiting until the pork was almost done cooking and then adding the BBQ sauce, he added it right away. After it cooked for the 10 or so hours, it was pretty liquidy. We took out some liquid and added more BBQ sauce.

We served the sandwiches on buns with broccoli slaw--a bag of shredded broccoli and carrots, mixed with a coleslaw dressing.

For a side dish, I made another Betty Crocker recipe: Potato Casserole Supreme. Here is the recipe (warning: there is a little dude in the corner of the screen talking about the website!). I did a few things differently:
-Instead of using shredded hash browns, I used the cubed (is that the right word?) hash browns.
-Instead of cream of chicken soup (I thought that sounded a bit odd), I used cream of celery.
The potato casserole was pretty good. It might even be good to make an entire meal out of it by adding some more veggies and maybe some chicken or ham.

In addition to the meals I made, our guests brought a lovely cheese ball--shaped like a pumpkin!--and pumpkin cheesecake cupcakes.

1 comment: