Sunday, October 3, 2010

Chili, Take Two

As I mentioned in this early March blog post, Nate and I came up with a chili recipe a while ago that we absolutely love. Everything about the recipe is really good, and we usually don't change much about it.

We made it last Monday for the Packers-Bears game. We while seemed to tweak it just a bit from our usual recipe, it tasted quite different. Not bad, but ... different.

The biggest change was that since we had so many fresh tomatoes, I used those instead of the two cans of tomatoes the recipe calls for. I grated all the tomatoes, like I did for this recipe, and threw it all in the crock pot.
I don't think I added a can of green chiles for whatever reason. I added one jalapeno, but other than that, didn't make it really spicy. We also added a bottle of Nate's Oktoberfest beer that is still carbonating.


Because the tomatoes were so juicy and liquidy, the chili turned out a bit more liquidy than usual. Usually the recipe is pretty thick, but this was more soupy. The taste was still good, but it wasn't quite as full-flavored as it usually is. I guess we'll stick to canned tomatoes from now on!

We also made cornbread muffins with the chili, using the same recipe I reference in the first chili blog post. I always like to make a big batch of them and freeze the leftovers for future meals.

Also, Ann brought a delicious cheese dip over to eat for an appetizer: Swiss walnut cracker snack recipe. Check out the recipe here. It was very tasty, and while it was served cold, we agreed it would be good baked for a while, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment