Tuesday, October 12, 2010

German-style Potato Soup

We got a HUGE head of cabbage in our CSA box a week and a half ago. Even after splitting it with my co-worker Mark (with whom we split all contents of the box) it was still a lot of cabbage. So I set out with a mission of finding something cabbage-y to use it in.

I flipped through my favorite crock pot cookbooks, The Biggest Book of Slow Cooker Recipes, and found a recipe for German-style Potato Soup (I guess I'm continuing with the Oktoberfest theme!). The recipe calls for 2 cups of cabbage. I thought that was a lot, but after I used a bit more than 2 cups, you could barely tell I cut any part of the cabbage off!

I thought the soup was really good. Very hearty and filling. Nate just said it was good. I think next time I would add some more smoked sausage. I only used the 8 oz. the recipe calls for (even though I bought 16 oz.), and I think it could use more for a bit more flavor. We served the soup with a side of the applesauce I made about a week ago (I finally got Nate to admit the applesauce is a little too sweet).

Here is the soup recipe:
German-style Potato Soup
-4 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
-2 stalks celery, sliced
-1 medium onion, chopped
-8 oz. cooked smoke sausage, sliced
-4 cups beef broth
-2 tbs. vinegar
-1 tbs. sugar
-1/4 teas. celery seed
-1/2 teas. dry mustard
-1/4 teas. pepper
-2 cups shredded cabbage with carrot (coleslaw mix) I used the head of cabbage with some peeled carrots
-snipped fresh parsley (I didn't use this)

In a slow cooker, combine potatoes, celery, onion and sausage.

In a bowl, combine broth, vinegar, sugar, celery seed, dry mustard and pepper. Pour over potato mixture.

Cover and cook on low heat for 8-9.5 hours or on high heat for 4-4.5 hours. Stir in cabbage mixture. Cover and cook 15-30 minutes more. Top each serving with parsley

No comments:

Post a Comment