Monday, October 4, 2010

Homemade Applesauce

We buy apples year round, but lately, since it's apple season, we seem to have lots and lots of extras. This past week, we had some leftover from the previous week's grocery trip, plus some from the farmer's market, some that were on sale at Outpost and some my dad picked up in La Crescent, MN (the apple capital of Minnesota!).

I knew we'd never be able to eat them all just raw, so I wanted to make something with them. I just so happened to get an Allrecipes.com newsletter in my e-mail inbox last week for slow cooker applesauce. Perfect!

I was also in luck that my mother-in-law was coming to visit for the weekend, and brought along her apple peeler/corer/slicer. Again, perfect!

Here is the recipe for spiced slow cooker applesauce. It's so simple and straight forward, I'll type out the recipe here.
-8 apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced. I used all sorts of varieties of apples and all different sizes. I also then quartered the apple slices. I later learned this really wasn't necessary, since the apples just fell apart after cooking so long.
-1/2 cup water
-3/4 cup packed brown sugar
-1/2 teas. pumpkin pie spice (I used a little extra)

Combine apples and water in slow cooker. Cook for 6-8 hours on low (I cooked them about 7 hours). Stir in sugar and pumpkin pie spice, cook another 30 minutes.

I started this at noon on Sunday, and it was ready to have a small bowl with dinner at 7:30.

For a long time, it didn't look like there was enough liquid in the crockpot to make it into a sauce, but it turned out perfectly.
The taste was fantastic. I think next time I make it, I'll start with a little less brown sugar, and add more if needed. One of the comments on the Allrecipes.com page said they made the sauce with half pears and half apples. I might just have to try that, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment