Thursday, October 7, 2010

Indian from a Jar

We've had a jar of Indian Spinach Punjab Sauce from Trader Joe's in our basement pantry for ... a long time (I'll leave it at that). I'd been craving Indian food (but when don't I crave Indian?) and I knew it was about time we used that jar of sauce.

I've always like the Indian simmer sauces from Trader Joe's, and this was one was as good as any of the others we've had. I fried up some tofu, cooked some veggies and simmered everything in the sauce. Here's what I did:

Veggie Tofu Indian Dish
-1 block of tofu
-about 1 cup of green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
-1/2 red onion, chopped
-a few pieces of mustard greens, sliced thin
To get some of the moisture out of the tofu, put the tofu between two towels, on a plate. On top, place books or plates--something heavy. Let sit for about half an hour.
After some of the liquid is out, cut into cubes. In a large skillet, heat oil (I used some jalapeno grape seed oil and some olive oil). When hot, put tofu in and pan fry until the tofu is browned. Add onions to the pan and saute a few minutes.

Meanwhile, in a separate saucepan, cook green beans in boiling water for about 5 minutes. Then add mustard greens and cook 2 more minutes. Drain.

Combine greens with tofu and onions. Add sauce. I added about 1/2 jar of water (the recipe on the jar calls for 1 cup of water). Simmer for about 15 minutes.

We served the dish with some leftover yellow rice and a side of applesauce, which was fabulous when it was warm straight out of the crock pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment