Thursday, October 7, 2010

Lunch with Mexican Flavors

I had to come home early today to be here for a plumber (shower faucet issues, if you're wondering), which gave me the opportunity to make have something a little different for a weekday lunch.

I often start daydreaming about lunch early in the morning, and I had already picked out what I wanted to make when I got home: black bean soup and a grilled cheese.

Whenever I go to Trader Joe's, I stock up on some of my favorites: salsa, blue tortilla chips, frozen pasta meals, mixed nuts and Latin style black bean soup in a carton. It's so tasty and really filling--it makes a great lunch, especially with a few add-ons.

For the soup, I heated up a little more than a cup of it in the microwave. I added some Cholula hot sauce, crumbled tortilla chips and some crumbled queso fresco we had leftover from tostadas. Yum! Other add-on ideas include avocado, chopped tomato, shredded cheese, salsa and tortilla strips.

For the sandwich, I used some super delicious English muffin bread we stock up on when we're up north. I just made a basic grilled cheese sandwich with Colby cheese, and then decided to add a twist, and layer some chunky roasted garlic salsa on both sides of the cheese. Wow! What a great flavor. I'm going to have to do that more often. And dipping the sandwich in a bit of the black bean soup? Oooh, tasty!

2 comments:

  1. My favorite!!! I add more cans of beans (to make it thicker), sometimes corn, chicken, and cheese. So good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I like your style! That would definitely be good. You could make a really filling meal out of the soup with all the add-ons you can use!

    ReplyDelete