Sunday, October 31, 2010

Potato Leek Soup

We had some potatoes and leeks from our CSA box I wanted to use sooner than later, so I thought it might be a good time to make potato leek soup--with soda bread, of course. I also had a celeriac from the box, too, so I added that in.

I know we've made it before, but it might have been before I started blogging. If this sounds like a repeat, forgive me--I just can't find it!

I based the soup on a recipe from an Irish cookbook, Irish Food & Cooking, I picked up on sale at Border's a while ago. The recipe is for potato soup and I just added the leeks to it. Here's what I did:

Potato Leek Soup
-1/4 cup butter
-2 large leeks, thinly sliced
-1.5 lbs. potatoes, diced
-8 cups chicken broth
-1 celariac, peeled and chopped
-salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in a large, heavy pan and add leeks, turning to coat them in butter. Cover and leave to sweat over low heat.

Add potatoes and celeriac to the pan and mix well with the butter and leeks. Season with salt and pepper, cover and cook without coloring over a gentle heat for about 10 minutes. Add the broth, bring to a boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.

Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Puree soup in batches in the blender (I used an emulsion blender). Reheat over a low heat and adjust seasoning.

I actually made it Sunday afternoon and then we heated it up for dinner Monday. It just needs about 10-15 minutes on the stove to do so.

We served the soup with one of our favorite things: soda bread. We love this easy and healthy recipe for Brown Soda Bread from Cooking Light.

It appears I didn't take a picture of the finished product. I must have been too hungry! You can probably imagine what pureed potato leek soup looks like. :)

2 comments:

  1. A nice hearty potato soup is probably my favorite fall/winter meal. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Dan! Do you have a recipe that's a bit different? I'd like to maybe switch it up a bit next time.

    ReplyDelete