Sunday, October 3, 2010

Real Chili and Chili Dogs

I had never had a chili dog until about a week and a half ago when Nate and I went to Real Chili with some friends who were in town. I had never been to Real Chili either, so there were a few firsts.

I had always wanted to try Real Chili, because it's kind of a Milwaukee institution. And I really wanted to like it. But I didn't. It was not tasty, not flavorful and really just didn't taste like chili--I thought it was more like taco meat in a bowl with some beans and noodles (ick! I'm not a fan of noodles in chili) if you want them. Nate and I split a chili dog and I'm glad that's all we had. There aren't many foods I don't like, but this was one of them.

So, knowing we were making chili for Monday's game, we decided we'd try our hand at our own chili dogs. We had most of the ingredients already: the chili, of course, hot dogs in the freezer from Brewers tailgates and buns in the freezer, too. We just boiled the defrosted hot dogs for about seven minutes. We topped the chili dogs with some shredded cheddar, and that was about.

After we ate, I turned to Nate and said, "You know, I'm just not sure I like chili dogs." I didn't hate them, but they just weren't that great. But we agreed they would probably be better if we would have used better hot dogs. These hot dogs were turkey dogs and really small. Using a hot dog from, say, Usinger's would probably be more flavorful and substantial. This tasted mostly like chili and bread.
With the chili dogs, we had sweet potato fries and a salad. Can't go wrong with sweet potato fries!

No comments:

Post a Comment