Monday, October 25, 2010

Restaurant Review: Sake Tumi

On Friday, my friends Leah, Sun and I went to dinner at Sake Tumi. We chose Sake Tumi because it was one of the restaurants participating in Fox 6 Days of Dining, sort of like Milwaukee's annual downtown dining week.

Sake Tumi's menu was intriguing, and it was one of a few downtown restaurants convenient for all of us from work. I had been to Sake Tumi earlier in the year for downtown dining week, so I kind of knew what to except--great food and huge portions. This visit wasn't any different.

Leah and Sun started with spinach goma ae, boiled spinach served with sesame peanut sauce. I elected to have the edamame, complete with lots of salt. Both were really good. The bowl of edamame was HUGE! I ate a lot of it--which was OK since it was just edamame, but all that salt just about rubbed my lips raw!
For main meals, Sun got the bulgogi, grilled ribeye with onions, peppers and mushrooms. Her meal came with a small salad, rice and pot stickers, too.

Leah and I both got the sushi plate--eight rolls of different sushi (tuna and some kind of white fish) and three pieces of nigri--one with tuna, one with salmon and one with a whitefish. The sushi was really good--and SUPER filling.

For dessert, we had the choice between green tea ice cream (which Sun got) and mochi ice cream (which Leah and I got). The mochi ice cream was a ball of green tea ice cream surrounded by mochi, which is made from glutinous rice. There aren't many things I won't eat or make faces over eating, but I really did not enjoy this. The texture of the mochi was really weird--chewy and slimy. I couldn't finish it--that hasn't happened in a long time!

All in all, it was a great meal and great experience. There's a lot more I'd love to try on the Sake Tumi menu, especially the more Korean options.

No comments:

Post a Comment