Monday, March 7, 2011

Crab and Shrimp Étouffée, S'il Vous Plaît!

In honor of Mardi Gras, I wanted to make a traditional Cajun or New Orelans-style dish. I've never made, or even eaten, etouffee, so I thought this would be a good time to do so.
(Yes, that is a straw in Nate's beer--he needed a way to drink it while cleaning and cutting the shrimp!)
I found a recipe for Crab and Shrimp Etouffee recipe on MyRecipes.com that looked really good. And it ended up tasting even better!

We followed the recipe pretty closely, except for a few changes:
  • If I would have bought the exact amount of shrimp and crab the recipe calls for, it would have been really expensive (it was fairly expensive as it was!). So I elected to use about 1.65 pounds of fresh, raw shrimp, and a 7.5 oz. (I think that was the size) can of crab meat, because I couldn't find fresh crab (other than crab legs) at Outpost. This turned out to be a perfect amount of seafood for the dish. The shrimp we had were huge, so we cut them into thirds.
  • Instead of chicken broth, I used veggie broth.
  • Instead of Creole seasoning, I used Cajun seasoning, just because I had some on hand and hadn't used it yet.

  • I used 1 teas. of hot sauce (garlic Cholula) instead of 1/2 teas.
  • We made brown rice with the dish.

The etouffee was really pretty easy to prep and make. The total time wasn't too bad--probably about half an hour--but for Nate to clean and devein the shrimp, it took quite a while.

The dish was awesome, and it was one of the meals that every few minutes I would remark "Man, this is good!" I can't wait to have the leftovers for dinner tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment