Monday, April 25, 2011

BBQ Deviled Eggs

I needed an appetizer to take to my parents' house for a Saturday evening Easter dinner. I knew I wanted to do something with eggs, and coming across these two BBQ Deviled Egg recipes--one from Southern Living and one from Very Culinary blog (thanks @Burp_Blog for the heads up!)--made me make my decision.





I decided to make up my own recipe based on the two I found:


  • 8 hard-boiled eggs, peeled

  • 1/4 cup mayo

  • 1 teas. honey mustard

  • 1/8 teas. salt

  • 1/8 teas. hot sauce

  • a few drops of liquid smoke

  • 1 Tbs. (plus a bit extra) BBQ sauce (I love Saz's BBQ sauce)

  • 2 strips cherrywood-smoked bacon, cooked and crumbled (be sure these are chopped pretty small if you're using a piping bag)

  • smoked paprika--a few shakes for the mix plus a few shakes for the top of the eggs

  • about 2 tbs. sliced green onions

Cut the peeled eggs in half and carefully remove the yolks (I also like to slice a bit of the white part off the bottom of the eggs so that they stay put on a plate, but it's not a necessary step). Put the yolks in a bowl with the rest of the ingredients (minus the green onions) and mix well.



Take a Zip-loc bag and fill the bag with the mixture, using a rubber spatula to get all of the mix at the bottom of the bag. Snip a corner of the bag to make a piping bag. Fill the insides of the eggs with the mix. Top with a few shakes of paprika and green onions.



These deviled eggs were really, really good. I would definitely make them again. They were really easy to make (other than peeling the eggs--I have some troubles with that). They were a big with our small group.

No comments:

Post a Comment