Sunday, May 8, 2011

Queso Fresco




It never really occurred to me to make queso fresco from scratch, until I saw a JSOnline article and recipe for it just a few days before our big Mexican meal. It sounded wonderfully simple, so I figured we should give it a try.




We followed the recipe exactly (I'm guessing it's best to do so!). The whole process really only took 10-15 minutes. We didn't let the mixture strain for too long (maybe 10 minutes?), which we should maybe do next time. I wonder if that would make it a little harder and more crumbly?




The cheese was good, but not quite as good as store bought queso fresco. It wasn't quite as salty, either, which is probably good for me, but doesn't taste quite as good.




I'd definitely make this again, though, and I'd try adding more salt next time and letting it strain for longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment