Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Soup Cookbook Everyone Should Own

I bought a copy of the Milwaukee Empty Bowls Cookbook from a friend at the December #MKEfoodies Cookies for Kids event. And I'm so glad I did.


First, proceeds from the $20 cookbook go to Milwaukee Empty Bowls, a nonprofit that "uses art to heighten hunger awareness and raise funds to help food pantries and meal programs in the Milwaukee area." The beautiful bowls are created by local potters, students and artists and are donated to the organization. Each year, on the second Saturday in October, the bowls are available for purchase and are meant to be filled with the wonderful soups available at the event.

Second, the cookbook is filled with wonderful recipes all from local chefs, restaurants and stores. And lucky for me, the book includes one of my favorite soups, which I always make sure I order when I'm at the restaurant.

I chose the chicken tortilla soup from Water Buffalo as my first recipe from the book. When ordered at the restaurant, this soup is always creamy without being rich, with the right amount of tender chunks of chicken and a hint of spice. 


The soup was souper (Sorry, had to!) easy to make and tasted pretty close to the real thing. I can't wait to make more from the cookbook!


Water Buffalo's Chicken Tortilla Soup 4-6 servings (We got closer to 4)
  • 6 Tbs (3/4 stick) of butter
  • 1 pound chicken tenderloins, cut in 1-inch pieces (we used a cooked rotisserie chicken)
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
  • 1/2 teas. ground cumin
  • 1 teas. salt
  • 1/2 teas. pepper
  • 1/4 teas. dried oregano
  • 1/2 teas. cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 3 cups chicken stock
  • 3/4 cup heaving whipping cream (I used 2% milk)
  • tortilla chips for garnish (we also used avocado and hot sauce for garnish)
In soup pot, melt butter, Add chicken and onion and cook over medium heat until chicken is no longer pink inside, about 5 or 6 minutes.

Add spices, then flour, and mix well. Cook, stirring for about 30 seconds. Stir in stock and bring to a full boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Stir in cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment